Real talk: not one of us on the NIGHT squad loved memory foam when we started working on this brand. We joke about how skeptical we were that the hero product, the sleep-enhancing and beauty-boosting NIGHT Pillow features a memory foam base.
As we talk to more and more consumers, we have realized that we were not alone; a good percentage of the population has a negative opinion on memory foam. Sad.
Flash forward to today: we are memory foam > filled pillows all the way. It is NIGHT’s unique, high quality, air light memory foam that has converted us. We have so many interesting memory foam convos via phone and email, we decided to share some insights here on the blog.
Below are the top questions we receive on memory foam, straight from our customers. In fact, a memory foam conversation can go a little something like this:
“Seriously tho, why are you guys so obsessed with your memory foam?”
Not going to lie, we are pretty obsessed with our memory foam. Memory foam (done right) provides the perfect balance between comfort and support. Check out this YouTube video of our egg test comparing memory foam to filled pillows in their ability to achieve this delicate balance.
Also, memory foam is naturally hypoallergenic, so dust mites, allergens and pollutants won’t build up inside your pillow. Considering that other pillows can be bacterially indistinguishable from a toilet seat (yes, science says), this is a pretty important point to consider.
“Ok that’s legit. But my experience with memory foam is that it [insert: is as heavy as a brick, sleeps hot, holds its shape too rigidly, etc etc]. How is yours different?”
Love that you are asking this because ours IS different. Our unique memory foam is oxygenated, making it the lightest, airiest and fluffiest memory foam on the market. It is specially designed to “recover” i.e. regain its shape quickly, so that as you move in your sleep, it does the work to self-adjust and keep your neck and head aligned and supported. The light nature of our foam allows for ideal air flow for a cool, comfortable sleep experience.
“Wow, good stuff. But I’ve heard memory foam can have a funny smell. What’s the deal?”
Yes, this is a process called off-gassing. As part of the production of memory foam, there is a short period where compounds can break apart and produce a gas, hence the term off-gassing. No studies have shown that the off-gassing process is toxic or dangerous, but if you are sensitive to smell, it may be unpleasant for a few days. On our end, we do our very best to complete any off-gassing at our production facility (located here in the USA in Detroit) so that by the time the pillow arrives at your door, you will not experience any odor whatsoever. If by chance you do, we hope you will holler at us right away because we maintain top notch customer service and you can be rest assured we will take care of any issue.
“Word. I’ve seen pictures of your foam- what’s up with the craters in the foam?”
Craters in foam = high quality foam. All higher quality memory foam has craters because of individual air bubbles that form during the custom molding and manufacturing process. Here’s a quick video to show how our foam is individually hand-poured into a custom mold and then trimmed and inspected for top quality assurance right here in the USA.
“Ok, last question. I want to get my money’s worth. Do memory foam pillows last as long as filled pillows?”
General rule of thumb is that you should replace filled pillows every 18 months, unless you are extremely dedicated to washing it on a regular basis. Then you may be able to hold onto it a little longer…but remember what science says about that pillow and a toilet seat. Gross.
For memory foam pillows, it is recommended that you replace them every three years. No maintenance necessary because of the naturally hypoallergenic nature of the foam.
“Well damn…I think I need to try this memory foam for myself. Can I place an order right now?”
Yes, yes you can.
It is always exciting here at NIGHT HQ when we launch a new product, and the Tri-Silk Pillowcase, specially designed to fit any pillow, is certainly no exception. But if you are new to our brand, you may be wondering – what is best for me? The TriSilk Pillowcase OR the NIGHT Pillow? Well don’t fret, as usual, we have your back. Take a moment to answer these two questions and then you’ll be ready to get in bed with the best NIGHT product for you.
1. Do you want to effortlessly add beauty benefits to your nightly shut eye?
Added benefits when all you have to do is close your eyes and go to sleep? YES PLEASE. The first thing we have confirmed is that you do make solid life choices…and are in fact in the market for either the TriSilk Pillowcase or the NIGHT Pillow.
Seriously? Go ahead and think about that one again.
2. Do you think the pillow you currently sleep on is absolutely amazing and providing you with the best sleep possible?
Damn, let us know what pillow you are sleeping on! But seriously, that’s awesome. Now consider covering that pillow with our TriSilk Pillowcase, a proprietary spandex silk formula designed to moisturize and protect you precious skin and hair. Our signature midnight black hue negates light, acting like a built-in sleep mask and providing you with that deep, restorative sleep that keeps you looking and feeling youthful.
You aren’t alone. In fact, this is the answer we hear far more often. Consider trying something new: the NIGHT Pillow aka full NIGHT experience. The NIGHT Pillow is a lightweight memory foam pillow combined with a custom-fit TriSilk pillowcase to fully maximize your shut eye. The advanced engineered memory foam sleeps cool and provides comfort and support in every sleep position while the custom-fit TriSilk Pillowcase moisturizes and protects your skin and hair. As mentioned above, our signature black hue negates light, acting like a built-in sleep mask. This is the real deal and the total package.
Congrats on getting in bed with NIGHT! You and your pillow are going to share a lot of awesome QT together (1/3 of your life actually). We guarantee NIGHT will treat you right, but here are five tips to get the most out of your experience:
- Sleep directly on the custom TriSilk™ moisturizing pillowcase pre-assembled on your NIGHT Pillow™ to maximize the benefits. No additional pillowcase needed!
- Avoid stacking other pillows above or below the NIGHT Pillow™. The height of the foam is engineered to be universally supportive.
- Sleep freely. Don’t concern yourself with your “normal sleep position.” Fact is the average person changes position 2-36 times a night. The NIGHT Pillow™ is advanced engineered to self-adjust for the perfect comfort and support in every position.
- Keep your sleep surface fresh—it’s so easy! The TriSilk™ moisturizing pillowcase is removable and machine washable. We recommend laundering it every other week or as needed. No need to worry about cleaning the self-adjusting memory foam core. It's hypoallergenic so stays so fresh and so clean without additional maintenance.
- Don’t be scared that your pillow doesn’t look like your grandma’s. Our MidNIGHT black hue actually negates light promoting a deeper more restorative rest. Trust us once you sleep black, you won’t go back J
Give it time! Remember we have a 101 night no strings attached policy. So take your time. We recommend sleeping with the pillow for at least 10 nights before drawing a conclusion. Enjoy your #sleepwithbenefits!
Our top priority at NIGHT HQ is bedroom satisfaction. So we take feedback from our very wise customers seriously. Since inception we’ve noticed a consistent theme in customer feedback that we like to refer to as the “wait for it.” It goes something (or exactly) like this:
“The first two nights I really didn’t like sleeping with the NIGHT Pillow™. Around night three, I started to feel neutral about it. From night five on, I can’t imagine sleeping with another pillow. I am totally OBSESSED.” – A real, very wise NIGHT customer
If you’ve ever made the leap to cleansing your face with a Clarisonic, brushing your teeth with an electric toothbrush or, for the most daring, using natural deodorant, you know the drill. There’s an adjustment period…but at the end of the day (or night)—these products change your life!
So, what is it that takes time getting used to for the NIGHT pillow? Here’s the deal:
- Self-Adjusting Foam: Our proprietary oxygenated memory foam is advanced engineered to mold to the anatomy of your body and your comfort preference (i.e. what sleep positions you favor). But, it just needs a little time to get to know you first.
- Highest Quality Silk: Our unique TriSilk™ pillowcase is made of the highest quality mulberry silk, previously used only for high-end couture and never before seen in the bedding industry. The custom-fit prevents slipping and bunching, a technique also new to bedding. There is no doubt— this is a different sleep surface experience than the #basic cotton pillow…and your hair and skin will thank you for that.
For these reasons, we recommend sleeping with the NIGHT Pillow™ for at least 10 nights before drawing a conclusion. And, don’t forget, we guarantee satisfaction with a 101 night no strings attached policy. So take your time!
Don’t let your NIGHT Pillow™ be the one that got away…it’s worth the wait ; )